Role of the Home Sharing Provider
As a home sharing provider, you are responsible for ensuring the individual you share your home with experiences a good life in a welcoming community. In order to fulfill your role, you are required to:
- Ensure safety and well-being.
- Facilitate participation in meaningful daily activities that promote independence.
- Provide a comfortable, nurturing environment.
- Assist and support individuals to enjoy meaningful relationships with family and friends.
- Facilitate and support community inclusion.
You play an important role in making sure that not only the physical needs of the individuals are met, but their emotional and social needs as well. These are a few other ways you ensure that you are providing the best support to the individual you share your home with:
- Focus on the individual’s abilities and maximize independence.
- Provide enough support, but not too much.
- Promote the dignity of choice by:
Recognizing the individual’s right to take risks;
Developing strategies to minimize the risk; and
Providing information about the risk.
- Encourage independence by doing “with”, not “for”.