Self advocacy groups across B.C. received grants to support social connection during the COVID-19 pandemic. The groups are:
- Self Advocates of the Rockies (Cranbrook)
- The BC Self Advocate Leadership Network (Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island)
- Speaking Up for Self Advocacy Awareness (Kamloops)
- TALK North West (Kitimat/Terrace)
Click here to read their profiles and find out more about who they are, what they are doing and how to contact them.
On this page you can find information about upcoming self advocate-led events and you can also visit the Calendar for Connection here to learn about other fun ways to stay connected.
Check back often as this page will be updated regularly with upcoming events.
New and Exiting
Elections Workshop: Know Your Rights & Vote! hosted by B.C. People First
- Monday, September 13th, 2021 | 1:00pm – 2:15pm PDT
- Full Details: www.eventbrite.ca/e/elections-workshop-know-your-rights-vote-tickets-167932597921
Presentation Skills for Self-Advocacy Success hosted by B.C. People First
- Wednesday, September 22nd, 2021 | 10:30am-11:30am PDT
- Full Details: www.eventbrite.ca/e/presentation-skills-for-self-advocacy-success-tickets-161725452181
Upcoming Virtual Events
Music trivia hosted by Kamloops Speaking Up Self-Advocacy Awareness Society (SUSA)
- Aug 25, 2021 at 2:00 PM PDT, 3:00pm MDT
- Join through Zoom by clicking here
Fall into Fall BUT Let’s Get Inspired Conference 2021 hosted by Self Advocates of the Rockies Group Society
- Live on Zoom
- August 27 from 9:00am to 2:15pm PDT/ 10:00am-3:15pm MDT
- Register by August 25 and you will be entered to win a gift basket
- Registration is through Self Advocates of the Rockies Facebook or you can click here for the form
- For more information, please email email@example.com
Upcoming In-person Events
The Water Balloon Fight hosted by the Self Advocate Leadership Network (SALN)
- Splish-splash Self-Advocate Groups in BC. Join us for a picnic and water balloon fight in your own community!
- September 21 at 11am PDT
- REGISTRATION: RSVP by August 23 by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water balloons and treats will be provided once registered
Letters and Pen Pals hosted by Speak Up Self-Advocacy Awareness (SUSA) Society
- Do you want to get a monthly letter and/or be a part of a pen pal program? This might be for you! We are organizing a Pen Pal letter-writing program to connect Self-Advocates with similar interests. We are also going to be sending monthly letters.
- The program has already started and will run until the end of August. The pen pal program will run as long as people want to keep writing to each other!
- This is for Self-Advocates with diverse abilities who enjoy getting mail, want to find new ways to connect and learn about different events and activities.
- Register by emailing: email@example.com or call 250-572-6009
Phone Tree with Self-Advocates of the Rockies (SAOR)
- When: Every Thursday: 11:30 am – 12:00 pm MDT; 10:30 am – 11:00 am PDT
- Information: SAOR will be holding weekly group phone calls so we can catch up with friends and meet new advocates from around the province!
- Registration: email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 250-426-3393 by 3:00 pm on Wednesdays. Spots are limited to 5 per call so make sure to sign up to reserve your spot!
- Check it out on the Family Support Institute’s, Calendar for Connection here