Each October, CLBC joins British Columbians across the province in recognizing and celebrating the contributions and potential of people with developmental disabilities, and the families, friends, caregivers, volunteers, community groups and employers who make our province stronger by ensuring their full participation. For the last 20 years, communities across B.C. have held events and initiatives to help build awareness about inclusion for adults with developmental disabilities, and to celebrate the people who include them.
On October 1, 2018, the Province of British Columbia proclaimed October Community Inclusion Month to more clearly reflect the vision for inclusion across the province. Although the name of the month has changed from Community Living Month to Community Inclusion Month, the meaning and the intent has not.
CLBC is committed to working with the people it serves, service providers and community partners to build a more inclusive British Columbia. Everyone has a role to play in ensuring people with disabilities can fully participate in society – family, friends, communities, the business community, non-profits and governments.
On this webpage you can find links to events and celebrations taking place across the province during Community Inclusion Month, as well as news stories and proclamations from local municipalities.
Inclusion BC is also sharing ideas, resources and Community Inclusion Month events on their website here.
Stay tuned to this page throughout October as it will be updated often.
Click the links below to learn more about events taking place across the province. You can also visit the CLBC Event Calendar here. If you know of an event in your community you would like to share, please send the details to Christopher.Rae@gov.bc.ca.
- Community Inclusion BBQ and Party – Maple Ridge (October 3)
- Studio 73 Open House – Surrey (October 5)
- posAbilities 14th Annual Inclusion Art Show and Sale – Vancouver (October 11)
- BC People First Free Learning Event – Vancouver (October 11)
- Cloverdale Community Kitchen – Volunteer Recognition Dinner – Surrey (October 15)
- Fashion for a Passion Show – Powell River (October 18)
- 19th Annual Self Advocacy Leadership Institute – Mission (October 19-21)
- Mapping the heart of our Communities – Vancouver (October 20)
- Intelligent Lives film screenings in Richmond (October 22) and Vancouver (October 24)
- Transforming Day Service – L.I.F.E. Based Services – Vancouver (October 24 & 25)
- Family Fun Fair – Port Alberni (October 25)
- Inclusive Employer Awards – Surrey (October 25)
- Family Support Institute’s 11th Annual Trivia Night – New Westminster (October 26)
- Hallowe’en Video Dance – Nanaimo (October 27)
- Kelowna’s annual Inclusion Chain links community together – Kelowna Now
- Celebrating Inclusion Month in Vernon – Vernon Morning Star
- October is the month to celebrate inclusion in BC – Powell River Peak
Many municipalities make their own proclamations in support of inclusion, which we will be sharing below throughout the month: